I call these ‘light rye’ buns because the percentage of rye is around 30%, which gives them a subtle rye flavor without being overpowering. Since I grind all of our whole grains using our NutriMill grain mill, I use freshly ground whole grain rye flour for this recipe. Whole grain rye flour is usually sold as dark rye flour. You can also use light or medium rye flours as well, which are a bit lighter because they have had some of the bran and germ removed.
Top these buns with caraway seeds for a classic flavor combination, or get creative and use sesame or poppy seeds. You can also leave off the seeds and just enjoy the subtle flavor that the rye flour gives to these buns. Whichever way you make them, it’s all good!
Light Rye Sandwich Buns
Adapted from a recipe at Ellen’s Kitchen 
1 cup water (8 oz)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup rye flour (about 3.75 oz)
2-1/4 cups unbleached bread flour (about 9.5 oz, I use King Arthur brand)
1 tbsp vital wheat gluten flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp instant yeast
seeds for topping (optional)
(additional bread flour as needed)
1. Place all ingredients in the bucket of your bread machine. Select dough cycle, press start. Add additional bread flour if necessary if dough is too wet. Dough may be sticky but should form a ball. Allow machine to complete its cycle.
2. Dump risen dough onto a lightly floured surface or silicone rolling mat. Divide into 12 equal sized pieces.
3. Take each piece, and roll into balls. Place on a greased cookie sheet or baking pan, equally spaced apart. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes. (If dough sticks to your hands, dip them in water or spray with a cooking oil spray)
4. Flatten each ball into a bun shape. Pieces of dough should be touching each other.
5. Cover, let rise 40 to 45 minutes. If using seeds for a topping, brush tops with water or egg white and add now before baking.
6. Preheat oven to 375ºF.
7. Bake buns for 12 to 15 minutes until golden.
8. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition (per serving): 169 calories, 28 calories from fat, 3.2g total fat, 17.6mg cholesterol, 202.5mg sodium, 120.3mg potassium, 29.9g carbohydrates, 2.5g fiber, 4.4g sugar, 5.4g protein, 11.2mg calcium, <1g saturated fat.