Whole Grain Spelt Pita Bread
A Happy Acres original
280g (1-1/4 cup) room temperature water
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp yeast, active dry or instant
2 tbsp olive oil
400g (3-1/2 to 3-3/4 cup) whole grain spelt flour
1 tsp salt
1. Dissolve yeast and sugar in 1-1/4 cup warm water. Let sit for 5 minutes to activate yeast. (If using instant yeast, skip this step and mix all wet and dry ingredients together at the same time)
2. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, yeast/water mixture and oil. Stir mixture until flour is hydrated. Let rest for 20 minutes.
3. Place dough on work surface and knead for 5 minutes, or use low speed of electric mixer to knead for aout 2-3 minutes. Add small amount of flour if necessary.
4. Place dough in bowl lightly coated with a little oil. Cover and let rise for 90 minutes, until doubled in bulk.
5. Punch dough down to release trapped gases. Divide dough into 8 balls for large pitas, or 10 balls to make smaller ones. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes. This step allows the dough to relax so it is easier to shape.
6. While dough is resting, place pizza stone or baking tiles in oven and preheat to 500F.
7. Spread light coat of flour on work surface. Place one ball of dough there and sprinkle top with flour. Use hands or rolling pin to flatten out to 1/8″ or 1/4″ thick. If dough is hard to stretch, cover and let rest another 5-10 minutes. Prepare as much dough as will fit on pizza stone at one time.
8. Open oven and place as many pitas as you can fit on the stone. Let bake for 2-3 minutes, until puffed up and as brown as desired.
9. While pitas are baking, form next batch of dough. Repeat until all dough is baked.
10. Remove pitas from oven and let cool, covered by a cloth towel. Bubbles should deflate as pitas cool. Be careful – pitas are full of hot steam when taken from the oven!
Nutrition (per serving): 231 calories, 44 calories from fat, 5g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 293mg sodium, 60.1mg potassium, 38.5g carbohydrates, 6.4g fiber, 1.6g sugar, 6.9g protein, 2.9mg calcium, <1g saturated fat.