Whole Wheat Sourdough Pita Bread
A Happy Acres Original
8 oz mature sourdough starter
8 oz whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil
3 oz warm water
1. In a mixing bowl, combine sourdough starter, flour, salt, oil and water. Stir mixture to form a ball. Add more water or flour by the spoonful if needed to make a workable dough.
2. Put dough on work surface and knead for 5 minutes, or use low speed of electric stand mixer with dough hook attached and knead for 4-5 minutes.
3. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn until dough is covered with oil. Cover bowl and let rise for 1-1/2 to 3 hours, until doubled in bulk.
4. Punch dough down to release trapped gases. Divide dough into 6-8 balls, depending on desired size. Cover loosely and let rest for 20 minutes. This step allows the dough to relax so it is easier to roll out.
5. While dough is resting, place pizza stone or baking tiles in oven and preheat to 550°F.
6. Spread light coat of flour on work surface. Place one ball of dough there and sprinkle top lightly with flour. Use hands or rolling pin to flatten out to 1/8″ or 1/4″ thick. If dough is hard to stretch, cover and let rest another 5-10 minutes. Prepare as much dough as will fit on pizza stone at one time.
7. Open oven and place as many pitas as you can fit on the stone. Let bake for 2-3 minutes, turning once, until puffed up and as brown as desired.
8. While one batch of pitas are baking, form next batch of dough. Repeat until all dough is baked.
9. Remove pitas from oven and let cool. Bubbles should deflate as pitas cool. Be careful – pitas are full of hot steam when taken from the oven!
Servings: 8 small (or 6 large). Nutrition info is for 8 pitas.
Nutrition (per serving): 159 calories, 22 calories from fat, 2.5g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 293.1mg sodium, 172.4mg potassium, 30.9g carbohydrates, 5.2g fiber, <1g sugar, 5.8g protein, 14.9mg calcium, <1g saturated fat.