Whole Wheat Banana Muffins
A Happy Acres Original
4 large very ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
2. Combine the mashed banana, sugar, egg, canola oil and vanilla in a medium bowl and mix well.
3. In a separate mixing bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
4. Pour banana mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until evenly moistened (do not overmix or muffins may be tough).
5. Gently fold chopped walnuts into batter (if desired).
6. Spoon batter into greased muffin pans, and bake for about 20-25 minutes.
Servings: 12 muffins
Nutrition (per serving): 216 calories, 87 calories from fat, 10.1g total fat, 17.6mg cholesterol, 249.6mg sodium, 250.9mg potassium, 30.4g carbohydrates, 3.3g fiber, 14.1g sugar, 3.8g protein, 37.1mg calcium, <1g saturated fat.